Skip to main content

How to Create a Culture of Learning and Success?

This post has been inspired by a discussion that took place on 18/1/2015 on #Aussieed. The chat looked at the concept of the #notperfecthat Club with @jenanamorane @martysnowpaw and that each student is perfectly imperfect and that is okay.

As I was reflecting on my own education and experience as a student I realized that it wasn't until I reached university that I experienced a culture of learning and success in formal education.

Even though teaching has been something that I had wanted to do from some of my earliest years, schooling was not something that I enjoyed. I recently had coffee with one of my teachers and her comment was “… school didn’t serve you well as a learner, did it Brian! In those days we taught everyone the same and expected everyone to meet the standard within a given timeframe. Time for support was a luxury we didn't have.” As a student, I didn’t perform well. I was a learner who learnt outside of the norm and if I wasn't able to get things as quickly as others I would get down on myself. I know this is posture that I have also seen in some of my students in the past.

Going through high-school things began to improve, as I was able to start choosing the areas in which I studied. After graduating from high school and a bit disgruntled with education I moved into the fields of Outdoor Education, Youth Work and high level Gymnastics Coaching. I found within these fields Masters of Experiential Learning. They taught me people learn by doing, feeling, touching and failing. They also taught me that for people to fully grow they need to feel safe in a place where it is okay not to be perfect but as they practice they become better at mastering a skill.

This gave me the confidence to once again work towards “formal education”. During this university time I was privileged to study within a knowledge building community (KBC 2007) led by Dr. Julie Kiggins @jkiggins. She personally mentored a small group of students, teaching us that education can happen anywhere. Teacher-centered learning was only just one-way of delivery and often was the least beneficial. Much of the content was delivered as Problem Based Learning and action research working in collaboration in teams with experts in the field that we had access to. The four ‘pillars’ of the KBC were; taking responsibility for own learning, learning through collaboration, identifying and resolving problems, and becoming reflective.

As I think back on my university days I relies much of the principles that were imparted to me I endeavor to impart to my students. Learning can happen anywhere as long as they feel safe to try and fail. Students are interested in solving real world problems. They want to know how and why things do what they do if they have a need to know. They love working in collaboration and as they become more reflective as a learner they take greater responsibility for their learning.

The question still remains how do you create this culture of learning and success?

As classroom teacher I set the tone where emotion intelligence and literacy can flourish. I let the students know that I am a teacher and teachers make mistakes all the time, as we are not perfect, we are humans! I then encourage a have a go mentality using analogies like riding a bike and learning how to walk. After this I create a safe activity to fail e.g. a group collaboration task like mute line-up. These tasks are often just outside of the student or groups zone of proximal development (Vygotsky, 1978) and this all happens in Week 1!

Throughout the year I use PBL tasks, which have an entry event that stimulates students, need to know then followed up by a series of activities or takes that cause students produce a deeper understanding. These tasks are based on problems in their world e.g. creating a sustainable transport system for an island that has none using minecraft or creating a narrative to be published as an electronic book using book creator. Students instantly become engaged, as they want to create something that makes a difference in the real world and be shows their success as a learner. Posting or publishing student work is essential in this process as they see that pride can be taken in overcoming problems and learning new skills. It all comes down to the language used and the support I give, once my students know they are safe to try they begin to achieve. My student’s know that "failure is not fatal but is the First Attempt In Learning".

Rebecca Alber has written a magnificent list of twenty ways to create a safe learning environment for Edutopia. Her advice includes building community, setting clear boundaries, smiling and laughing a lot, and getting to know each individual student, as well as allowing them to get to know something personal about you.

I agree with Alber’s top twenty. I find it pleasing that she has a balance between creating a space that is fun and welcoming and full of laughter, but also one where expectations are set and failures become learning opportunities.

In the end, the responsibility for implementing this kind of environment that eliminates hurtles that spoil learning falls on us as educators. Creating that safe learning environment when done well, allows students to flourish and teaches them that “being Not Perfect is perfectly fine! In fact, the world is full of talented and wonderful people who are ALL perfectly Not Perfect” (http://notperfecthatclub.com).

References
Kiggins, J. & Cambourne, B. L. (2007). The knowledge building community program: a partnership for progress. In T. Townsend & R. Bates (Eds.), Handbook of Teacher Education: Globalization, Standards and Professionalism in Times of Change (pp. 365-380). The Netherlands: Springer.


Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

Popular posts from this blog

How do we Build a Culture of Inquiry and Data Use?

School systems have a shared responsibility to improve student learning outcomes. Likewise, for staff there is an obligation to provide extended opportunities to build on what they already know. High quality recording methods that ascertain growth mapped over time can identify trends and highlight threats allowing organisations to predict implications of applying a learning initiative or intervention. This can become complex and messy due to competing agendas and a variety of interpretations. For this reason, organisations have an obligation to develop a fair, ethical and shared understanding how data will be used and interpreted (Stoll & Fink,1996). A strong and user-friendly data system when properly implemented, empowers teachers to discover value in functions that bring student data to their fingertips (Brunner, Fasca, Heinze, Honey, Light, Mandinach & Wexler , 2005). Therefore, teachers require adequate learning support if they are to use data to improve practice

Managing the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the classroom

As educators, we all understand the importance of ensuring that students submit their own work and are not cheated of their success by others. However, with the increasing use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the classroom, it can be difficult to ensure that students are not cheating on assignments. Fortunately, there are a number of measures that educators can take to minimise the possibility of cheating while still using AI to their advantage. Here are a few tips to help you manage the use of AI and minimise cheating by students on assignments. 1. Set Clear Guidelines The first step in preventing cheating is to set clear guidelines about the use of AI and make sure that students understand the expectations. Make sure students are aware that AI-generated work is not permitted and that any work submitted must be their own. 2. Monitor Student Activity Monitoring student activity through AI can help you identify any potential cheating. AI can be used to detect plagiarism and other sign

What does a post-industrial class look like? Part 2

This post is the second part of a series that I have been working on to identify what  does a post-industrial class look like? In my previous post , I looked at using video, collaborative discussion, grouping and student-centred learning. Why a large display and one to one? The large electronic display is used as it offers many benefits to a given lesson; these include demonstration and modelling as the teacher could showcase the application or video from the board (Moss, et al, 2007). It is easy to show the important features of particular web-based activities and have students interact with the material on their own devices. The board can accommodate different learning styles (Herrington & Harrington, 2006). Interactive boards can help tactile learners by touching and marking the board. Audio learners can have the class discussion and auditory multimedia, visual learners can see what is taking place as it develops at the board and it offers multimodal learning which can b